Author Topic: NEW INTEL 1000 Core Processor, Developed!  (Read 6211 times)

techninjadude

NEW INTEL 1000 Core Processor, Developed!
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

Researchers at a Scottish claim to have made a breakthrough in the drive towards more powerful processors while conserving energy too. The team, from Glasgow University, led by Dr Wim Vanderbauwhede, have succeeded in squeezing 1,000 cores on a single chip.

The researchers, working in conjunction with colleagues from University of Massachusetts, Lowell, used a chip called a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) which can be configured into specific circuits by the user rather than relying on the factory settings. This technology allowed Dr Vanderbauwhede to divide up the transistors within the chip into small groups and ask each to perform a different task thus creating a 1,000 mini-circuits – or to put it another way, creating a 1,000-core processor.

To demonstrate the chip's effectiveness, the research team used it to process an MPEG algorithm at a speed of 5Gbps, about 20 times faster than processors used in current PCs.

Dr Vanderbauwhede, who hopes to present his research at the International Symposium on Applied Reconfigurable Computing in March, said: "FPGAs are not used within standard computers because they are fairly difficult to program, but their processing power is huge while their energy consumption is very small because they are so much quicker – so they are also a greener option.

However, he warned that the research was an early proof-of-concept work but added that he hoped "to demonstrate a convenient way to program FPGAs so that their potential to provide very fast processing power could be used much more widely in future computing and electronics."

Source: TechWorld, Geekologie,PCpro

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/363010/intel-outlines-1-000-core-processor

Its Kinda Old, But New to us

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:05:34 AM by techninjadude »

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder

techninjadude

Re: NEW INTEL 1000 Core Processor, Developed!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »
I knw, but worth the post because I never knew about it.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »
lol man thats awesome.

FPGAs are so useful you can do almost anything. From JTAGs on your xbox to making 1000 core processors or even building a robot chip... those things are crazy.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
lol and i thought my overclocked dual core was pretty good.... :faint:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
yeah but these processors are probably restricted to 80KHz each because the clock speed has to be divided up. some gate arrays run pretty fast like 80MHz

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal