Author Topic: lit A/B/X/Y by spurgurgle  (Read 12896 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
lit A/B/X/Y by spurgurgle
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
ABXY lighting tutorial

Introduction in this section I will be showing you how to light your ABXY using 5mm white leds...

Parts Needed
  • 4x white 5mm leds
  • resistor if on a wired controller.
  • 30awg wire

Tools Needed
  • Solder Iron
  • hot glue gun
  • 7mm drill
  • a sharp knife I use a Stanley knife
  • wire cutters
  • pliers

Difficulty rating: 4/5

Average Time to Complete: 30-60mins

Notes: note be very careful when cutting or drilling the buttons.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- take you four 5mm white leds and solder on 2-3 inches of wire to the base of each led the trim off the excess leg material.
2- now carefully clamp your ABXY buttons in a pair of pliers and use your 7mm drill to remove most of the white plastic.. you want to leave a thin layer of it.. this way your buttons still look stock when the mod is turned off.

3- cut notches in to your buttons using a sharp knife. on A and X cut the notch above the largest sized tabs and for Y and B cut the notches above the middle sized tabs

4-glue the leds in the button.... ok first test fit the leds then half fill the button with glue. insert the led down most of the way.. make sure it is below the white plastic. make sure the wires run through the notch’s you cut. then fill the button up to the top of the white plastic with hot glue and use the other end of your drill bit to push it down flat with the white plastic..
5- ok now test the polarity of each button. and wire them to the bread board we installed in the dome guide.
your finished buttons should look like this:

now carefully close up your pad making sure none of the wires get in the way of the pad closing....

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
  • if the buttons are to stiff or to soft check the build up of glue in them as it may be too high or low... it should be build up to the same height as the standard plastic..
  • if the leds aren’t working check the polarity, test on a battery. and check for shorts.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:08:46 PM by laxboy »

Offline TheProGraMer

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: lit A/B/X/Y by spurgurgle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
Getting LEDs with same color as the Buttons has a more Dramatic affect,
but still looks really kool.

What if i want to Lite up the Center Button Red. and the Ring going around the center button Blue???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:11:12 AM by TheProGraMer »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:42:21 AM »
the problem with using a different color for each button is that each will need a seperate specific resistor, as with different colors comes different forward voltages...

for the dome and ring of lite please look at the tutorial section as the tuts for those are there also.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »
yeah as matt has said the issue with using different color leds is you need a different resistor for each 1.... well you can use 1x100ohm resistor for both Y and B and then dont use a resistor at all for A and X

yellow and red leds are about 1.8-2.0 forward voltage

and blue and green are about 3.0-3.2 forward voltage....

also for help on your ring and dome check out the complete lighting tutorial found here

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,33937.0.html

ive done a blue ring and red dome before and it works fine.....

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline gimillii1592

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
So I don't need to use a resistor if I am modding a wireless controller?
If so, why not?

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
it really depends on teh board when im working with a matrix i use one when im  working with a cg board i dont usually use a resitor only in speacil cases

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »
when using a 3v supply

if using blue green or white leds with forward voltages usualy about 3.0-3.5v ,you dont need to use a resistor..

but if using red or yellow leds with forward voltages of about 1.8-2.5v use a resistor with a value of about 20-100ohm depending on how bright you want it......

well thats what i do...

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline smithy141

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
hi nice tut but does anyone have a tutorial of lighting the abxy with a transistor and not breadboard

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »
u dont need a tut for that its just simplke electronics........

just wire a transistor into the ground/ power line and use and anolog voltage to switch the transistor on..... simple stuff :)

this tut is more about getting a basic lighting in you controller...... ( and i used a cg1 so dont need a transistor and octocupler

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline smithy141

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
ok i just fitted a transister with my matrix board and it now turns off. thanks

Offline Jonny

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
May seem a nooby question as I'm new to all this.. But..
What's a bread board? is it something special or literally a bit of wood with 2 strips of solder on and used as a way of connecting all the wires into one?
thanks..

Also great tuts everyone, already done the RoL swap and lit the dome red.. I plan on doing this and a few more mods on here.. =)

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
May seem a nooby question as I'm new to all this.. But..
What's a bread board? is it something special or literally a bit of wood with 2 strips of solder on and used as a way of connecting all the wires into one?
thanks..

Also great tuts everyone, already done the RoL swap and lit the dome red.. I plan on doing this and a few more mods on here.. =)

this has bin covered a few times before but here it is again.... breadboard is just a piece of circuit board.... u can by it in any electrical supply's shop...... its not wood.... im not sure what it is... some form of composite not conductive material with copper trace's on it in row's with hole for wire to slot through.... in my tut i dont use the holes... i tin the breadboard and lay the wires on top of it for ease of installation.... do a google search or search on ebay for breadboard... u'll find the stuff u need.....

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
Ok spur ima go ahead and try it with my colored LEDs, so you said yellow and red need a resistor, now do i apply the resistor to the ground wires or the power? and also where do I apply both the power and ground so that the LEDs do not stay on while the controllers off and only come on when you turn on the controller?

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »
this has bin covered a few times before but here it is again.... breadboard is just a piece of circuit board.... u can by it in any electrical supply's shop...... its not wood.... im not sure what it is... some form of composite not conductive material with copper trace's on it in row's with hole for wire to slot through.... in my tut i dont use the holes... i tin the breadboard and lay the wires on top of it for ease of installation.... do a google search or search on ebay for breadboard... u'll find the stuff u need.....

Just noticed spurgurgle, not trying to correct you, but as far as I know breadboard board refers to specific prototyping sets that uses friction to keep the components in like http://www.clarkzapper.net/breadboard.jpg The stuff you are talking about is veroboard. Perhaps you call it something different over there. Just in case anyone is having any trouble locating the stuff try a search for veroboard.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
Just noticed spurgurgle, not trying to correct you, but as far as I know breadboard board refers to specific prototyping sets that uses friction to keep the components in like http://www.clarkzapper.net/breadboard.jpg The stuff you are talking about is veroboard. Perhaps you call it something different over there. Just in case anyone is having any trouble locating the stuff try a search for veroboard.

indeed i do beleive it is called vero board but has bin known as breadboard where i get it from..... but yeah anyone having trouble finding the stuff i use in this tut try searching fro vero board

Post Merge: September 01, 2010, 12:17:58 PM
Ok spur ima go ahead and try it with my colored LEDs, so you said yellow and red need a resistor, now do i apply the resistor to the ground wires or the power? and also where do I apply both the power and ground so that the LEDs do not stay on while the controllers off and only come on when you turn on the controller?

i would put the resistor in the ground line but it doesnt really matter....

as for which power point to use.... well any ground will do...
but it will depend on which controller type u have..... if its a cg1 use the points i do in this tut otherwise you'll have to use a transistor or octocupler i reckonmend a octo thingy... find RDC's post in the 360 pad section for more info on the octo me bobby
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:17:58 PM by spurgurgle »

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Ok so when the red and yellow are not using a resistor they are nice and bright but green and blue wont work, but when you do use a resistor theyre very dim and green and blue work...

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:10 AM »
any help?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 04:18:46 AM »
please post a pic of your wiring, each different color led needs a diffrent voltage. if you are trying to use one resistor on the main supply line it will not work, as you will bring down the voltage of all the leds.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »
any help?

u'll need 4 seperate resistors and 8 different wires (2 for each led ... 1 + , 1- ) but doing it this way u'll end up having dimmer lights all round....  ur best bet for best results is use 4 white leds wired like my tut shows with no resistros (unless its a wired pad) and vollaa bright lit buttons....... magic just like the tuts shows :)

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
Ok im gonna go ahead and wait for my white leds to arrive, now how do I make it so that te leds only turn on while you turn on the controller not when you plug in the pack

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
Ok im gonna go ahead and wait for my white leds to arrive, now how do I make it so that te leds only turn on while you turn on the controller not when you plug in the pack
well it depends on which controller type ur using.....

if its a cg1 it will work fine using this tut.... and if its a matrix or cg2 u'll need to make a switched voltage or ground using a transistor or octocupler..... search the 360 controller area and u'll find the answers u need.... this question has bin asked many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many times!!!!!

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Lol sorry if ive been so annoying, used ur tut exactly, works great, but after a few days the controller resyncs everytime you press a button or use an analog stick, not enough power?

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
hmmm maybe a power issue test to see if it does it with brand new AA batteries or when plugged in..... if so its not a power issue and u probilly have a short somewhere in there.....

i doubt it is a power issue as i've done LOADS of pads with alot more leds then just abxy...... n never had this issue..... sorry i cant be more help
 :tup: spurg

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
indeed i do beleive it is called vero board but has bin known as breadboard where i get it from..... but yeah anyone having trouble finding the stuff i use in this tut try searching fro vero board

Post Merge: September 01, 2010, 12:17:58 PM
i would put the resistor in the ground line but it doesnt really matter....

as for which power point to use.... well any ground will do...
but it will depend on which controller type u have..... if its a cg1 use the points i do in this tut otherwise you'll have to use a transistor or octocupler i reckonmend a octo thingy... find RDC's post in the 360 pad section for more info on the octo me bobby

No If you put it on the ground the same amout of power should be going through it. ground is just a contact so the power completely comes through whatever is being powered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal