Author Topic: my next project  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
my next project
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »
I am not doing a tut, but will post progress and a few pointers if someone has questions along the way let me know and I will clarify a step or two. this will be over the course of the next month.

Hey Matt!

Unfortunately, this project has been stretching out a bit, despite our rush to help him out.

This is how he uses his controller currently.  It rests on the bed in front of him, and he rests/wraps his hands as you can see.  Muscular dystrophy means that he is lacking strength and range of motion, but his fine movements are fairly precise.

http://imgur.com/3KbAY.jpg

I recently carved a template of an Xbox 360 controller from foam to take measurements of the desired changes.

http://imgur.com/u67co.jpg

Last week, his OT and I used this template with him and marked it up, so that we can send it along to aid in the actual controller hacking.  I have drawn up two different possible final products (please excuse my awful photo editing, as it was my first time using GIMP).  (Ignore the eraser taped to the D-pad; it was an experiment.)

1: If it is feasible to replace the D-Pad with a thumbstick:  http://imgur.com/I2xAL.png

2: If not:  http://imgur.com/jrUgJ.png

And here are the modifications that need to be done:

1)   Move the right thumbstick up and to the right, as shown.
2)   Move the A and B buttons to below the right thumbstick.
3)   Move the X and Y buttons to below the left thumbstick.
4)   Replace the D-pad with a thumbstick (if possible) and place as close to the left thumbstick as possible, leaving space for the X and Y buttons on the left.
5)   Make the left and right triggers easier to pull (probably by trimming the springs inside).  His current solution of wrapping rubber bands around the controller works decently, but it would be nice to just modify the triggers.
6)   Pull the “click” function of the left and right thumbsticks out to 3.5mm (1/8”) mono jacks, so that standard switches can be plugged into them and used via his feet or head.
7)   Pull the “right” and “down” functions of the D-pad out to 3.5mm (1/8”) mono jacks, so that standard switches can be plugged into them and used via his feet or head.

He has a very hard time manipulating the D-pad, so a thumbstick would be much easier for him, but I understand that converting the analog signal of the thumbstick to the digital circuit closures of the D-pad might be crossing the line in complexity.  If this is not feasible, we will have to physically modify the D-pad ourselves, and rely on the 3.5mm jacks as a fallback plan for “right” and “down” (which are the most difficult for him).

I haven’t seen the ABXY buttons split apart like this before, but I assume it is feasible.

I would be happy to help clarify any of this, answer any further questions, etc.  I am an electrical engineer, so please feel free to discuss in depth and use all of the jargon you want.

Now here is the big question: How long would this take?  His parents are trying to decide who should modify the controller (Ben Heck or AcidMods), and their biggest concern is time.  Because of his progressing condition, we all want to get this done as soon as possible.  I understand that you do this work in your spare time, so they are willing to pay to have Ben Heck do it if that would make it easier/faster on all of us.  We're very grateful either way.

Thanks!

-Gavin

Offline eNeRGy

• BioLogic Mods
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: my next project
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »
Matt you truly are a good person you know.
..::BioLogic Mods::..
__"Why play fair?"__

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
lol I am just glad to be able to use the skills I have to allow other peolpe to enjoy the things we take for granted.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
i love these projects by u matt they always inspirer me :) ... i cant wait to get back home and behind my modding table.... mainly to finish T0ppad.... now renamed two toner

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
any ideas on which one u are doing yet mat?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »
? its all one controller

oh, do you mean the joystic/dpad?? I will be using a 4 directional  joystick
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:15:39 PM by modded matt »

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
sounds awsome

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
i work at a PCB production facility. if you could use a circuit board that would lay on top of the controller's board for wiring the buttons i could likely get you connected with a person who could have the board made for you. the intensifire mod uses such a thing. you could make a similar one to wire the tac switches and replacement thumbstick to increase the reliability of the controller. i couldn't make a price quote for you but thin single layer boards are pretty cheap and you could have other board types made at the same time.

if your interested let me know and i will see what i can do, i won't ask for any cash myself but the company may not be so kind.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:58 AM »
Matt,  I just dont know what to say. Your a very good person and thank god for people like you. I lost a good friend from school that had MD and if it wasn't for atari 2600 he wouldn't of know what its like to play video games . being that it was just a  joysitck and a fire button.

Its great that you have the talent to do what you do. :tup:
 Just want to say thanks for looking out for the people who are counting on people like you. My friend would of been greatful to be able to see what you are doing.

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline DarthNihilius

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »
Matt you truly are a good person you know.

I second that.  That is amazing.  Wish there were more people who cared as much as you do.
Imagine the happiness that kid will feel when he is capable of playing and enjoying in the fun we all take for granted.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
This had me in awww , chocked up, etc. I am almost 40, my friend past when he was 18 just before graduation, so much more I wish i could of done

Rodent consoles mods

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
as soon as i get enough money, im dedicating my life to doing stuff like this, you are a great inspiration matt, its people like you that make acid mods what it is

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
big update..... I was beat to the punch on this project by Ben Heck... ye the real Ben heck the laptop guy at a rate of $400.00 here is ben's solution:

http://www.gavinphilips.com/projects/mdxbox360-1

And here are a few shots of the controller, so you can see Ben's work.  As I said, it's functional, but he definitely isn't as worried about looks.  Your mods look much more... complete and professional?  (He even used case-mount 3.5mm jacks, wrapped in electrical tape.)  But hey, at least it works, and it's been a monster of a process getting that far.  And it works well!

http://i.imgur.com/fWDjx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gfazk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EJA6q.jpg

now that being said, I am not happy with the turnout of that controller, although functional, its just not acidmods quality.
my project will look like a factory controller, and will have all the face buttons, bumpers, stick clicks and 4 directional pad will be ported out using two propritary usb plugs. (6 usb's for a total of 12 outputs) so if his condition decreases over time he can have the extra buttons ported already and dont need a new controller. if he dont need them all, all of the origional buttons still work, but relocated on the controller so he can easily use them as long as his condition allows. all wiring is done, the shell has been cut and reconstructed, tonight I will add a final coat of filler and it will be ready for paint. then I will just have to fit the face buttons and complet the assembly. here are two pics I snaped quickly with my phone. I will get some hirexz ones up later in the project.

I am ashamed this project has taken so long to complete. I have not been very active the past two months due to some health issues I have been experiancing, and a hectic work load. but things are returning to normal, which is freeing me up for personal work such as this. Keep in mind guys, its hell getting old, take care of your body, and stay in shape.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Matt, Here's the thing you had something in mind to help others and what comes around goes around. DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM! You have a awsome idea seen what you can do and thats what matters. sorry to hear about your health, but stay strong.

Like you said its not acid mods quailty or up to your expextation of how his controller came out. stick with your plan and if something better comes to mind go with it. we are all behind you 100% .I cant wait to see your finished product.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline StoopidMunkee

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »
you truly are getting less credit than you should
your completely modify a controller in some of the most difficult ways possible for others so that they can enjoy what we enjoy
thanks matt :) happy holidays to you and everyone aswell

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
ok so this has been along time coming but its almost done. the controller has been fit and closed for final testing. If everything seems to work fine. ill play with it for a bit make sure there are no bugs, then back apart for final pant. here are a few pics

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:50:00 PM by modded matt »

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
O.O good job im sure he will love it.

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
it is stuff like this that keeps me coming back, this community is the best out there. We all take pride in what it is that we do. We dont do it for fame, and we don't write anyone off. I tip my hat to you Matt.

I have some recommendations: (possible future build)
*** sent via PM for privacy purposes ***

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
this just looks amazing matt. i hope he gets good use out of it

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
Nice work matt its so clean looks as if a controller would acually come like that

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal