Author Topic: DSi Battery mod + what is JK070?  (Read 5217 times)

Offline spinal

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
DSi Battery mod + what is JK070?
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »
First of all, I haven't seen any threads about DSi battery mods, I would have thought there would be loads considering the shorted battery life of the DSi. Anyway, I recently bought (at a reduced price) one of those battery extender cases for my DSi. Basically, it connects to the bottom of the DSi through the battery connector, it houses a second battery + the original DSi battery, giving you 2 batteries in your DSi. The only problem I have with it is that its HUGE! this thing only holds an extra battery yet it is the size of the full bottom of the DSi increasing the hight of the unit by at least 1/3.

So I opened it up and had a look inside, one thing I noticed is there are a couple of components in there that I don't know what they are (I am no electronic whizz) so could someone clue me in to the name and purpose of these two bits...

You'll see I 'enhanced' the photo at the bottom by drawing the correct colours over the top :P

they are connected in the unit like this...

Another question, would it be safe just to swap the two batteries around? that is, have the new battery in place of the DSi one and the DSi one in place of the new one. I'm assuming that is perfectly safe to do, but I do want at lease one second opinion...

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:52:57 AM by spinal »

Offline froggy

• SAN ANTO'S CUSTOM CHEVY'S
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Green Mexican
Re: DSi Battery mod + what is JK070?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
Well in the first pic, thats a resistor, i think they have that for not to much power to go to your system.
And i think you can switch out the battery's, but why would you want to do that? i think the battery that came in the battery extender might be a cheap or knock-off battery, so i think it would be best just to leave it alone
ITS TIME FOR IGNITION, AND STRAIGHT AUTOMOBILE PIMPIN!

Offline spinal

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »
I want to place the DSi battery back inside the DSi, extend the connector out and sit the cheap battery on top (below i guess) so that it only takes up the space of the actual battery sticking out, not an extra 1cm all over the case.

Offline maniacse

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BlackBerry User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
First is resistor, which is for current reduction (colour code decoder http://www.csgnetwork.com/resistcolcalc.html) and second is temperature fuse, i think. When the temperature raise critically, because of error, short-circuit, etc, it break circuit to avoid more damage..
Sony PSP 1004, Nintedo NDSi, Blackberry 8100, 8120, 7290, VW Golf Mk1

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
so a thermister then ?

Offline maniacse

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BlackBerry User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
something like that.. :)
Sony PSP 1004, Nintedo NDSi, Blackberry 8100, 8120, 7290, VW Golf Mk1

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
let me clarify this a little bit. The resistor-looking component is actually an inductor (coil of wire). Why? because if you do the resistor color coding to it you will get 390,000,000 Ohms (390M ohms) Air has less resistance LOL! Thats huge!!!

The inductor pretty much filters out abnormal spikes in voltage to travel around the circuit but when its working properly it won't do anything because inductors have close to 0 ohms of resistance.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal