Author Topic: Shotgun Shell D-pad tutorial by Jr  (Read 21886 times)

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
Shotgun Shell D-pad tutorial by Jr
« on: April 06, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »
X360 Shotgun Shell D-Pad TUT

Introduction
I did not create this mod, I do not know who did. I came up with this method of performing the mod and that is all...

This tutorial will show you how to make a 12GA shotgun shell into an Xbox360 controller D-Pad. This method allows the original method of attachment to be used, meaning that this is removeable. So, if you want to swap out d-pads you can.

Parts Needed
12 guage shotgun shell (1 per d-pad)
1 D-Pad

Tools Needed
X-acto knife or razor blade
pencil
dremel
1/8" drill bit
1/8" spherical engraving bit
wire cutters
cutting wheels for dremel
needle nose pliers
hot glue gun
hot glue

Difficulty rating: 2-3/5

Average Time to Complete: 30 minutes to 1 hour or more

Notes:
DISCLAIMER:
USE CAUTION WHILE HANDLING LIVE AMMUNITION! NEITHER I NOR ACIDMODS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY THAT YOU MIGHT INCUR WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PERFORM THIS MOD!

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN WORKING WITH A DREMEL ROTARY TOOL.

Step By Step Tutorial

Shotgun shell disassembly...

First, Use 12 guage rounds for this mod, they are the right size for this. if you are using spent shot rounds then you can skip this part of the process, If you're using live rounds, then read on...

Start by using an ex-acto or a razor blade to cut the sealed end off...

Remove whatever type of shot is in your shell...

Remove the shot carrier...

Safely and properly dispose of the gunpowder charge that is stored in the shell. I do not personally know what the proper method of disposal is, so I am not the person to ask on that, but you should dispose of it properly...

After cleaning out the last bit of powder (I used an air gun at the shop), or if the shells you used were spent then take your shells and trim them down an inch or so for now...

The Winchester branded end caps are nearly the exact same circumference as the D-Pad... (All 12 Guage shells will have the same size end caps, so you don't have to use the same brand as you see here)

Time to remove the primer charge and anvil while leaving the nice brass primer cap on the back... so first, soak the shell in water (I left mine in overnight to make sure the charge was fully saturated).

remove the contents of the primer charge (except the anvil) and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to open up the primer charge casing...

Once opened remove the anvil and clean out ALL of the remaining primer charge (I used q-tips, just keep swabbing the inside with wet and dry q-tips until they no longer come out stained)...

Now, disassemble your controller and remove the D-Pad (you can find that tut >HERE< ).
The part of the D-Pad that we need is the connector on the back of the D-Pad's face.

Now, Dremel time!   
You want to remove the white plastic (and eventually the red) from around the primer housing while keeping the metal sheath on the outside... I drilled holes in the plastic (careful you don't go through the metal) and then using an engraving bit that fit inside of the holes I drilled, ground out all the white plastic... all the way down to the red, making sure to cut all the way through the red in one spot. then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the red plastic out of the casing. I also used a pair of wire cutters to cut back some of the primer housing.

Now lay your shell next to your dpad (like this \/ ) and mark the height of the d-pad on the shell. then run that mark all the way around the shell...

Next up: More dremeling!

Now, cut that section off of the shell...

Don't forget to grind down the primer charge's casing... get it nice and flat and smooth...

Now, take the top portion of the D-Pad and dremel that down. I used a cutting wheel and the same spherical engraving bit that I used for the plastic in the shell...

Now that you have both pieces finished break out the glue gun... just make sure that you have the shell oriented properly so that it's centered and not crooked when you turn it back over and clip it into your controller...

After all that, you should have a nice looking new D-Pad! Now, go kick some ass!

Credits and Thanks to:
digitizd @ X-S for his write up on how to make a shotgun shell d-pad, his was the first one I saw and where I got the inspiration for this version...

laxboy for sending me some spare d-pad assemblies so I could write this up and show my version...

spurgurgle for watermarking all 29 of my images...

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline Imanewbie

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Shotgun Shell D-pad tutorial by Jr
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
kick ass d-pad!

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:04:46 PM »
bro this is amazing for us un free english how do we get bullets :)

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
You can get all sorts of shell casings from www.gunbroker.com and there cheap. I bought 1000 9mm casings for $20 on there all polished too.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »
There are many ways to get empty shells for other mods. Though with the shotgun shell spass it I easiest to to buy and dismantle live rounds. I know it doesn't sound easier and sounds kinda dangerous but it really is easier. I buy different 12gauge rounds from different places, depends on the type of finish I'm looking for. Bass pro shops or cabelas (in the states)  are good places to find plain stainless and brass and sometimes will have specialty types of shells...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: Shotgun Shell D-pad tutorial by Jr (need some help)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:12:43 AM »
got it this far, its not a winchester shell  heres a pic what do i do with the center piece?

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
Use a pair of needle nose pliers and some cutters to open up the top a little more than the hole already in it. after that clean out the priming powder and remove the metal striker inside, and clean out the rest of the powder.make sure you get it ALL! cause when you take a dremel to it the slightest spark will make a VERY loud pop setting off the powder...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
thanks jr, i already disabled it and now has a hole all the way thru it. no  big deal aleast i will know next time 

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
funny you're doing this right now I just epoxied my last 3 MilSpec shells yesterday. trying to get rid of as much stuff as I can lol need to buy more stuff for the baby...

stuffs getting kinda hard to do without a workshop though lol.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
i will likley be using this tut when i get home as i picked up some 12 guage shells. i also want to try see if the .22 i picked up as well will fit as the smaller back button etc. i also got some shells from a 357 magnum that when i got back to the resort noticed were a bit big for the controller as they will only go in from the front not the back.

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
yeah, .22s will fit for start and select, but will be really loose, more so than 9mm are for ABXY, pretty much anything bigger than 9mm you'll need to enlarge the holes the buttons go into... I've fit a set of .40 S&Ws into the ABXY...

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
i was able to fit a speer .357 magnum and a 5.56x45 for the abxy. you can prob fix a 7.62 to the xbox button too :)

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »
i think i might try a different method then if they are loose. will try to shave the top off of a set of old buttons and attach the bullets that way hopefully they wont be all loose. might even see if i can make some of the buttons screwable so that you can unscrew the bullets and add a diffent coloured bullet or type of bullet. it will need some work and may be a while in the making as i need to concentrate on uni this year

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »
actually i made the 357 screw-able, mainly because its shaped differently that the typical brass.i tapped the flash hole that comes from the primer and shaved down a regular button. then with some hotglue i filled the shaved button and screw on the button.. it was hard but worth it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:46:38 PM by geraldrubalcava »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
That's cheating, that's not a bullet button, that's a button cap.

Of course you'll be able to fit a .357 or a 5.56, they both have smaller base diameters than a 9x19 (9mm)... the 7.62 on the other hand will not fit without some modification to the controller...

Here's the deal with using ammo for buttons, 99.99999% of the time the neck diameter will be smaller than the Base diameter, meaning that the shell tapers from the base (the end near the rim and primer) to the neck (the part that the actual bullet fits into). which means that you need to pick a shell that has a base diameter similar to the diameter of the opening for which you wish it to fit. Now, you also need to consider the dimensions of the Rim. some rims are the same diameter as the base, some are smaller (both of these are known as rimless), and some are bigger (aka rimmed). if you use a rimmed shell, then you have to consider it a one time permanent installation since the rim is larger than the opening and you will have to bend the tabs into place, and the only way to remove it would be to unbend the tabs (this is a serious PITA, trust me. it will also lead to the failure of the metal and you'll have to make new ones after one or two reinstallations). So rimless is definitely the way to go, just consider the dimensions of the base and rim vs the opening it's going into.

Oh and watch out for 'belted' cartridges like the .300 WinMag, they can cause some problems too...

if you wanna replace the start and select buttons then I recommend enlarging the holes and using larger caliber... make the hole circular instead of an oval, just make it the same diameter as the buttons already are...

now if you wanna use those .22s... they make great cover caps for RF buttons on the underside of your controller...

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »
bullet cap? well idk what that means lol, but i dremmel off the bullet and the button, then i just screw them together. lol i dint ralize its cheating but it still looks ok so im happy. ohh good info on the bullets man! thanks! :)

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
yes, a cap, like you wear on your head... all you're doing is capping the OEM button with a little piece of the shell, it's not hard at all and almost anything can be used because the actual size of the shell is irrelevant at that point, and yeah, I consider that cheating. that's how people get ridiculous calibers to fit for certain buttons (guide button for example). The most common ones used for the guide are the 30-30 (which is way too small unless done as a cap), and the .223 WSSM (which are also too small but can be done with some work and will looser than the 9mm abxy). I've searched for a very long time and test fit a ridiculous number of cartridges for the guide button and there is only one size that will actually fit and even then it can get a bit tight... and don't ask what it is, I won't tell you... I will however tell you that a .40 S&W is a PERFECT fit for the Wiimote A button... even better fit than the 360s 9mm ABXY
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:30:31 AM by jrfhoutx »

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
well i guess its cheating then, i still like my controller though lol.

there should be a thread or a chart were people compile what size calibers fit in what buttons. it would be a great peace of info for anyone willing to mod lol.

BTW your shotgun shell d pad is pritty kool man! cheers!

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
there's no need all you need to do is measure the button's diameter and start comparing to the list of caliber's base diameters on wikipedia, anything same diameter to 1mm smaller will make a good fit...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal