Author Topic: Power Supply Switch for CG2 and Matrix Using an OptoCoupler  (Read 56788 times)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Power Supply Switch for CG2 and Matrix Using an OptoCoupler
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:58:38 AM »
Save yourself the trouble of hunting for a good switched voltage source in the controller and use an OctoCoupler to 'make' one. They're fairly cheap, small and will work on any of the versions of controller that are currently out now as well as get you the most voltage you'll be able to without wiring straight up to the batteries and using a switch to manually turn on/off whatever you're powering.

For those of you that aren't aware, an OptoCoupler is like a Transistor (and if you're not aware of what either is a trip to Gooogltown is advised ;) ) but the Base is controlled by an LED inside the device, so it's input is isolated from it's output. It takes a little more to turn it on compared to a Transistor, but there's 1 less Resistor to mess with and it can easily turn on a + or - source from a + source whereas an NPN or PNP Transistor alone cannot.

The typical OC has 4 pins, but they come in all types, so I'm just covering the basics here. Read the DataSheet on the OC that you intend to use and make sure it's Forward Voltage of the Input (LED) is no more than 1.5v~1.6v Max, and it's output (Collector Current) is capable of handling the load you need it too before installing it and then wondering why it doesn't work.

EXAMPLE: If you're wanting to use this to turn some LEDs on/off, lets say 4 of them that each have a current rating of 25mA each, and since 4 x 25 = 100, the OC will need to be able to handle at least 100mA of current, and should be rated a bit more than this to be safe.

The Collector of the OC will go to the B+ line or whatever spot you choose for the power source.

The Emitter of the OC will go to your LEDs, Crapid Fire mod or whatever you need to power.

The Cathode of the OC will go to Ground.

The Anode of the OC will go to a 10ohm or so Resistor (the exact value depends on the OC you choose, same with LEDs, read the DS) and then to the Analog Voltage line of the controller, which is switched on/off with the controller.

The recommended spots for wiring up an OC are shown below.

NOTE: This does NOT get you a nice Regulated power source, only one that's switched on/off with the controller. It will still vary with battery voltage on the Wireless controllers and is not recommended for powering Blue or White LEDs. If you want or need a Regulated 3v or higher source from the controller look into (aka Google it) using a Charge Pump or DC-DC converter.

NOTE 2: There's no real reason to mess with this on a Wired controller since it has a 5v source that comes from the console, though it is on all the time, so if you don't want the LEDs or whatever to run constantly an OC can be installed.

WIRED MATRIX

TP7 - Analog Voltage, 1.6v
TP2 - Ground
TP12 or TP18 - 5v

WIRED CL (Common Line)

TP5 - Analog Voltage, 1.6v
TP100, TP101 or TP102 - Ground
TP28 - 5v

WIRELESS MATRIX and the WIRELESS MATRIX 2

TP7 - Analog Voltage, 1.6v
TP2 or TP22 - Ground
TP1 - AA and PnC B+

WIRELESS CG (Common Ground)

TP8 - Analog Voltage, 1.5v
TP2 or TP22 - Ground
TP1 - AA and PnC B+

WIRELESS CG2 (Common Ground 2)

TP8 - Analog Voltage, 1.5v
TP2 or TP22 - Ground
TP5 - AA and PnC B+

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:22:34 PM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
Re: Switched Power Source in Controllers, Use an OptoCoupler
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
I would just like to add that my final rapdifire design used this as well.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline DaDo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
When i add this to my CG2 Board my sticks dont work anymore they schould do. Im twisting and strafing slow to right side and i cant run anymore. (MW2)

Which resistor do i need for CG2 and 4N26 OptoCoupler??
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:57:48 PM by DaDo »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:44:09 AM »
If you installed the OC and it's causing that issue then you did something wrong.

On that 4N26 make sure you're wiring it up correctly..

OC Pin - Controller

1 - TP8, thru a 4.7ohm or so Resistor
2 - Ground
3 - Not Connected
4 - To power LEDs or whatever
5 - B+
6 - Not Connected
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Brainstorm32

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
Where can you buy these other than Ebay. There are different types. Could someone post a picture of one. I would rather do this than use a transistor.
thanks,

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
Posting a pic would be kind of pointless, since they come in several different packages.

You can get them at all sort of online places like Mouser, Digikey and the like.

Offline Brainstorm32

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »
I found some. They are 6 pin. looks like 100pcs for 10 bucks. Not a bad deal

Offline DaDo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
If you installed the OC and it's causing that issue then you did something wrong.

OC Pin - Controller

2 - Ground
3 - Not Connected
5 - B+
6 - Not Connected

There it is. Thx.

I doesnt used the resistor, i think thats the point.

I´ll try it tommorow.

Greetz

edit:

Worked!! Thx

edit2:

Hmmm....
On first view it worked, but whem I played a couple of rounds, i noticed when put the stick right forward and press it down for run nothing happens, i must turn the stick a little bit to left or right, then i start running. It´s like the 0-point is moved a little bit forward.

edit3:
After alöt of reading about the 4N26, Resistors, Forward Voltage and all that stuff,
Im a little bit confused about the datasheet of the 4N26, there are 4 Forwrd voltage listed 1.05, 1.15, 1.3 and max 1.5 volt, which schould i use. I calculated 47ohm for 1.05 volt but that was to much and the OC dont power on. 1.5 volt with no resistor powers on but making trouble on my thumbsticks same with the 4.7 ohm resistors.  i came to that point that i need a 33ohm resistor to get on 1.15 volt. Is that right??
Or should i use 20ohm resistors for 1.3 volt??

Im really frustrated because i dont get it to work.

Greetz
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:42:15 AM by DaDo »

Offline FastBrad

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • C.O.D Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »

OC Pin - Controller

2 - Ground
3 - Not Connected
5 - B+
6 - Not Connected

Just to clarify, I am using hazers Flex with tri colored led so could someone tell me please where I should connect pin 4 on oc to, I am using a cg2 board.

Thanks

edit:Ok I have tried a few things, I am using a 4n25 with a 47ohm resistor and when everything is wired up an soldered down, I can still use the code function without the controller turned on.Can anyone help me please.

Post Merge: April 21, 2010, 03:54:03 PM
I think I may no know what my issue is. I am using 4n25 white package not black.Can anyone confirm if this is my issue
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:54:03 PM by FastBrad »

Offline FastBrad

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • C.O.D Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »
Can anyone help me please, I have flex mod in cg2 and cant for the life of me get this OC schematic working,I have followed the tut and re-done it multiple times and still cannot get mod to turn off when control pad powers off

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
The white or black package of the OC makes no difference at all, though the white is more efficient since internally it takes a bit less light to trigger the CE, but either one will work the same for this.

Pin 4 of the OC (4N25) should be going to power your PIC (VCC) that way it has no power to it when the controller is turned off since the OC will be off.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:23:12 PM by RDC »

Offline FastBrad

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • C.O.D Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
Pin 4 of the OC (4N25) should be going to power your PIC (VCC) that way it has no power to it when the controller is turned off since the OC will be off.

Thanks RDC,my problem was I misunderstood the schematic and still had v+ from board to pic :clap:

One other question is there another spot to get the switched 1.5v from, I have another cg board here and the contact is damaged on TP8.

Thanks in advance

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
Thanks RDC,my problem was I misunderstood the schematic and still had v+ from board to pic :clap:

One other question is there another spot to get the switched 1.5v from, I have another cg board here and the contact is damaged on TP8.

Thanks in advance
You're Welcome.

The Analog voltage is at the Sticks and Triggers, so you can use the solder joints there for that connection.

The outside solder joints of the Sticks POTs are Voltage and Ground, while the center lead is the Wiper line. Going by the Wireless Matrix pic above, the solder joints to the Right of the X line and above the Y line are Voltage (TP7 on that board) and those spots are the same on every 360 controller, the sticks are in the same layout no matter the version.

Offline 1mmort41

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
I have been told by many people now, that the CG1 board already turns the LED's on/off with the controller. As in some controller lighting tutorials they say that they use a CG1 as its easier to light. If this is true theres no need to do anything fancey to these CG1 boards, correct? OR NO?   
Does a CG1 have a switched voltage already?

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
That is correct you do not need a OptoCoupler on the CG1 boards, use the mic's power supply terminal for CG1 this is regulated 3v
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:08:25 AM by modded matt »

Offline luisbk2005

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
lets say I dont want to use an optocoupler on my ABXY white LEDS to turn them on and off with the pad, where are these switched voltages located and how do I wire them? (somewhat noob, learning fast)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:04:28 PM by luisbk2005 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
Lets say you don't have the CG version controller, then you can't, since only that one has a switched source, and even then no one has any idea what it can handle current wise. With an OC you know it'll work, and work on any version of controller as well as know what kind of current you'll be able to source from it, so it's a more proper way of going about it, even on the CG version.

If you have the CG version and want to use the switched source at the Headset connector (Google) then you can, but if it's any other version of controller then it doesn't have a switched source to power LEDs from, hence using an OC to make one.

You can also use a Transistor and a couple of Resistors if you like, but it only allows you to turn the Ground on/off unless you use 2 Transistors and then 4 Resistors, which for LEDs using the 1 Transistor method is fine, but the OC lets you go either way there turning on a + or - source depending on how you wire it up, and it only needs the 1 Resistor either way, so again it's the better method to use.

Just so everyone knows - The CG does not have a 3v Regulated source at the Headset connector, it varies with the battery voltage.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Power Supply Switch for CG2 and Matrix Using an OptoCoupler
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
I have a CG2 board and some 2n222 transistors laying around.  where would i need to solder on the board so that the LEDs turn on/off with the board being turned on/off?
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »
This thread isn't about using a Transistor, however it's Base to any switched positive voltage, Emitter to Ground, Collector to the Ground source of whatever you're powering, and don't forget the Base and BE Resistors as well.

This isn't a recommended method as it turns the Ground on/off to whatever and not the power, though for LEDs it's fine.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:19:26 PM by RDC »

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
ive been look all over the place and couldnt find any threads that could answer my ques. on cg2 and switched points. (this was the closes imo) whats a good switched positive source on a CG2?  thanks RDC for the help btw
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
There are no good switched sources on the CG2, or CG and Matrix for that matter, hence using an OC to just make one from the Analog VCC which is switched.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
so im SOL with using a transistor on a CG2 to power up leds?  i just need enough juice for 2 blue 5mm for a lit dome LOL
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
If all you're powering is LEDs then using a 2N222 is fine, which was already stated.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
what point on the CG2 board do you think i can connect the Base of the transistor too? not sure what points to use. (sorry if i sound like a noob  )

Post Merge: January 29, 2011, 12:45:38 AM
would these work? want to double check

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pcs-PC123-Optocoupler-/130355093385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59c4df89
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:45:38 AM by whuthefxk »
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
You need to look up the DataSheet on whatever OC you'd like to use and check the Output Collector Current rating (Ic) and make sure it can handle the amount of current that you intent to draw. In this case it's 50mA for that OC, so if all you plan to connect to it are 2 LEDs at 20mA each (40mA) then it would be fine.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
imma try and give the 2n222 a go first before buying some.  so should i connect the base of the transistor to TP8?
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:21 AM »
That is a switched positive voltage, so yes.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »
what do u mean by "BE resitors"  when you said  "and don't forget the Base and BE Resistors as well."

thanks
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
alright thanks i got it to work with the transistor. thanks for the help RDC
MY CONSOLE LIST:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal