Author Topic: complete xbox 360 controller lighting tutorial {finished}  (Read 92183 times)

Offline XxiHAGGISxX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: complete xbox 360 controller lighting tutorial {finished}
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
this is the bread board i use for all of my controller mods. its great for making an analog RF mod and for using in this lighting mod. a big plus is if you cut it correctly you can use if for several controllers.

i live in the uk and radioshack dosent delivery to uk/ not cheaply.....  i was wounderd if this was any better then http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47480 if not could u please try show me a sutible product from the uk

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
i live in the uk and radioshack dosent delivery to uk/ not cheaply.....  i was wounderd if this was any better then http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47480 if not could u please try show me a sutible product from the uk

try the one with the order number N95CF it is in the scroll tab on the page you linked. it's a small strip board. that should work great for this application. you may not find much use in it for other things though. if you have friends that like to do the same things it may be a good idea to go in it together and save a little cash that way.

also if you don't mind improvising you could probably get away with using a couple pieces of solder wick as your terminal. just make all of you soldering before using hot glue on it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:05:45 PM by DubbedTheBeast »

Offline XxiHAGGISxX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
i was just wondering if there was anyway of being able to keep the battery pack in and the leds off so when  u turn the controller on the leds come on aswell or is that not possible

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
i have been told you can use an octocupler (forgive me if i mistold on the word) so that when you turn off the controller the lights will turn off too. i have not tried that yet. you could add a power switch in a less noticeable place also.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Man spurg this is still an outstanding topic. xD

Yeah DubbedTheBeast thats a good idea so you won't run the risk of loading the switched supply so much it would break the controller.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline XxiHAGGISxX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
ive got a solition and is currently working just buy the smallest latching switch u can fit it in your controller and split the cable that goes from the VDD to the breadboard and solder to the switch this also means u can turn lights off if ur low on battery and u still want to play

REP me if this helps

Offline eNeRGy

• BioLogic Mods
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
you should add the sync button to this guide so it will be truly "complete"
..::BioLogic Mods::..
__"Why play fair?"__

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
you should add the sync button to this guide so it will be truly "complete"

in my second post... there are links tothe rest of the lighting tuts such as the sycn button and bumper lights.... i would of put them in the first post but the post had already reachd its limited on size.....  hence the links to them topics for sycn button lights , bumper lights and dpad lights......

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline XxiHAGGISxX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »
my controller disconeects about every 10secs when i done this anyhelp

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
you leds are taking too much power and the controller does not have enough juice to keep going. try to use a resistor on the negative side of your leds. if i'm not mistaken if you used the led types in this tut a 4.7ohm resistor should do the trick.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »
Just follow this tut and youll work according as its post to.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline 1mmort41

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »
OK here is... Do you use two superbright LED in the browser button in parallel? it  seems as though you do...
i want to know if I would need a resister when using two of these in parallel ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45937 ) rather than needing a resister for just one. thanks for any help guys. just wondering because i used the led calculator and it shows my circuit as having to have a resister on each of the negative points on both LED, which is not how i want it. (i want mine wired as yours is with two in parallel with both inside the browser button.) OR... does it mean i have to wire these in series to be able to have no resistor? It's all just confusing me atm...
OMG... this is like the 10th time editing this post, grrr... Did you use solid core wire, OR equipment/stranded wire?
and I'm really sorry for asking all these questions its just i get really frustrated and want to buy all the things necessary really really soon :)
:help: :confused: :help:       :beg:

+for all perfectionists who want 30 gauge wire:    30 gauge American wire is actually 33 gauge UK wire, SO 30awg=33swg
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:38:50 PM by 1mmort41 »

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 07:50:34 AM »
u'll need to check the FW voltage (forward voltage) of your led.... basiscly if its 3v or over u dont need a resistor if its under u will.... you can get away with no resistors but its not recommender... wire it in parallel just like i did in my tut and u'll have no worry's.... these are ver simple mods.... the hard part is not wiring the led  its drill out the button and glueing the leds in...

the wire i use is single strand (solid core) 30 awg... not stranded......

also ur leds look like red a rule of thumb i use with red leds is put a 20-100ohm resistor on them and they'll be fine..... but it depends on the brightness u want the type of battery u use and a few other variables...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:52:38 AM by spurgurgle »

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline 1mmort41

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
Yo... to all people out there who cant find a cg1 board for lighting purposes... Loads of people have recommended a switch or a micro switch, and i don't know about you but i look around and theres only those big chunky things that you flipback and forth! So i say look for a slide switch, it works brilliantly, it fits just barely inside the controller by the battery pack so you can switch it on/off with no case modding involved.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
Not sure if this post is dead but I wanted to know about the ability to turn these lights off while still playing. Like if I just wanted to show them off for a min. There a way to do that? If so how? Where do I solder for that or what wires do I mess with? Thanks. Also would a transistor be easier or harder to put in? Thanks.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »
Not sure if this post is dead but I wanted to know about the ability to turn these lights off while still playing. Like if I just wanted to show them off for a min. There a way to do that? If so how? Where do I solder for that or what wires do I mess with? Thanks. Also would a transistor be easier or harder to put in? Thanks.

this post will never be dead as its a tutorial....

as for your question the simpilest way to turn it on n off while the pad is still on is to put a micro switch in either the positive or ground wire.... simple.... that hard part is finding a decent slide switch that will fit nicely in the pad.....

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline 1mmort41

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
Hey sgntmajorsav, i think there may be many different ways to do that. but i do reccomend useing a micro slide switch like i and spurgurgle have mentioned, then if youve followed this tutorial and used a piece of breadboard or something to wire evrything to, just simply wire from the positive terminal to the switch, then to the +side of the board.
I done this with one of mine so that i could either have the lights on and the rapidfire or just the rapidfire... i done this so that i could show off at lan parties and still have rapidfire in my room, without being glared at by the controller. Good luck :P  :drunk:
i found that old toys have extremely decent sized micro slide switches... although some come with screw holes either side, which by the way are really easy to trim off with an old wire cutters.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, helped me out.  :yess:

EDIT : I have another question, will the lights go off when the controller is off or does the battery have to be taken out? Would a transistor make them shut off when you turn the controller off? And last is there a tutorial on how to install one and how? Thanks.

[mod] double post edited [/mod]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:09:24 PM by Rodent »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Yes the LEDs will go off after you shut the controller down because the LEDs are powered by a "switched supply". Basically what that means is the controller's chip has a power source that only comes on when you try to turn the controller on. The switched supply is used to stop you from draining the battery so you can keep the battery in the controller.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Im pretty sure that on the cg2, the leds are always on, cause ive done this before on a cg2.

"I'm not a very tall person, however I show self-confidence of a bigger person"

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »
Yes the LEDs will go off after you shut the controller down because the LEDs are powered by a "switched supply". Basically what that means is the controller's chip has a power source that only comes on when you try to turn the controller on. The switched supply is used to stop you from draining the battery so you can keep the battery in the controller.

Well i've been reading and they all say you either need a "switch" or a transistor.  I would probably like to have both installed, but i need to know the soldering points and wires to what "neg" or "positive" needed to be.  can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial. i believe the transistor needed is  a 3904. thanks

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:09 AM »
first find out what type of controller your using. this will determine what you need to switch the power source, or if its even needed atall.

the ideal thing is to use a cg1 controller. wire it to the mic point, so when the controller is off, so are your leds and chips. if a cg2 must be used, order an optocoupler, to mimic the cg1's power supply and wire it the same.

then there is the question of do I want the leds on all the time or not? prolly not. add a micro switch, I have put one in the battery compartment before. use the switch just for the led's and keep the RF chip on the normal cg1 power source. so you can allways have RF but only have leds when you want.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:59 AM »
I guess the easiest would be to just get the micro switch, but i've been looking online and are they hard to fine? because i can't find any. i'll be checking radio shack and another electronics store, but not sure if i'll have luck.  thanks though.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »

only in a cg 1 type controller...... not cg2 or matrix... im unsure bout matrix 2 as i've never used one....

if your controller type is not cg 1, look in the 360 controllers section for rdc's post about octocuplers thats the best way to make your own switching supply

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Sawted2009

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 07:07:35 AM »
Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked i must have missed it, i plan on using some 12v leds for the trigger lights will i need a resistor for this?

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked i must have missed it, i plan on using some 12v leds for the trigger lights will i need a resistor for this?
the xbox controller doesnt have a 12v point sooo you won't be able to add them anyway

thanks toad and indy for the sigglys

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »
im thinking about doing this.. i have 10 5mm white 7,000mcd leds.. a few smds. just dont know about the battery afterwards..

Offline Sawted2009

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2011, 02:20:49 AM »
Thank you for your reply, should i go for some 5v leds?

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2011, 02:34:17 AM »
5 volts would not work either the controller works off 3.3v so get the lowest voltage you can

Offline Sawted2009

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
5v with a 1k resistor on each LED worked perfectly :), thank you for your help :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal