Author Topic: complete xbox 360 controller lighting tutorial {finished}  (Read 92061 times)

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
complete xbox 360 controller lighting tutorial {finished}
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
XBOX 360 controller complete lighting Tutorial
By Spurgurgle

Hi there, ok so I’ve broken this tutorial down into smaller sections to make it a bit easier to use. But by the end you should have a controller that looks something like this:

XBOX 360 controller LED change and RF indication light

Introduction
In this tutorial I'll be covering how to remove and replace your Xbox 360 controller ROL leds and how to add a second LED to the player 4 contacts to act as a different color RF indication light.

Parts Needed
  • 5x 0603 leds
  • 1x Xbox 360 controller

Tools Needed
  • Fine Tipped Solder Iron
  • good quality tweezers/ small needle nose pliers
  • Torx screwdriver depending on your controller

Difficulty rating: 2/5

Average Time to Complete:
05-15mins

Notes:
-Be careful picking up the leds in tweezers as they can easily fling out across the room.
-Be careful not to use too much heat on the leds as they are sensitive.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- Watch this Acidmods video by Treemty on how to take your controller apart.
Xbox 360 Wireless controller disassembly video tutorial

2- Identify what controller type you have. Use this thread: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=24699.0 thanks goes to Gameroms

3- Use these diagrams below to check + / - for your LED's and controller
This the CG pad type, the - side of the contacts is marked by the white line and dot at 1 end of the LED.

This is a matrix pad type, the - side is marked by the point on the triangle that is in-between the two contacts for the led you can see it until the led is removed.
So I have marked all the contacts in this picture.
In this picture you see the underside of you LED's some types have a small triangle other have a T on them. Use these 3 pictures to work out which way round you leds will go.

4- Removing the original leds. First make sure your soldering iron has a nice fine tip on it. (use a file if necessary to file a better tip onto it.) Then prime your soldering iron with a large enough ball of solder to flood one of the led.
Now your iron is ready carefully flood the led with the solder ball make sure it is touching both contacts on the led (add more solder if needed but not to much as it'll get messy) and with very little pressure slide the LED off

5- Now clean the excess solder from the contacts so there flat (again don’t apply to much pressure else you'll damage/rip off the contact) The pads should look something like this:

6- Carefully remove the packaging from your leds and pick 1 up using the tweezers the hold it in place over the contacts. check the + / - to make sure it's going the right way. + goes to + and - goes to -.
Now carefully with a small amount of solder on your soldering tip, touch it to the contact at 1 end of the led to tack it in place, let the solder cool and pull away the tweezers. it should stay there (if not pick it up and try again but be careful not to use to much heat on them. (You want to be doing quick soft touches,with your soldering iron not long holds as this will damage the leds.), now touch the other contact and there you go! You should have successfully changed a ROL led.

7-Test each led as you go, and repeat step 6 on all 4 of the leds then test again.

Now onto different color Rapid fire indication light. This is rather simple to do.
Just get another color led and connect it to the right hand side of the player 4 led, check the + / - and make sure it matches to the contact on you PCB *on matrix + side of led to + contact *on CG - side of led to - contact (Note: there both on the right hand side for player 4)

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
    If the leds don’t not turn on.
    • Use a battery to test the polarity of the led is correct. i.e. + to + and - to -
    • Make sure the contacts are not damaged (if they are follow the trace's back top through the via's and bridge with a wire like in this picture.
      )
  • Make sure there is power to the controller and that it is turned on.

Ok so that is the ring of light now onto light the dome

Lit Dome/Guide button

Introduction
In this section of the tutorial we'll be covering how to light up you dome/guide button using 5mm leds.

Parts Needed
  • 2x 5mm leds
  • Resistor (depending on led used.
  • 30awg wire
  • Bread board

Tools Needed
  • Solder Iron
  • Hot glue gun
  • 7-10mm drill
  • Wire cutters

Difficulty Rating: 3/5

Average Time to Complete: 15-45mins

Notes: Take extra care drilling the button.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- After taking your controller apart using the above guide, solder 2 3inch pieces of wire to a small piece of breadboard.
2- Now glue your breadboard in place on your controller using the hot glue...
(As you can see on this controller I have a rapid fire chip already installed so I just glued the new breadboard over it making sure there is no shorting out of the chip. You don't have to do this if you don't want to)
3- Connect the 2 wires from the breadboard on to the ground and VVD. The pad type im using is CG but I also use these connections on matrix pads as they don’t have a switched 3v.

4- Clamp your dome in a pair of pliers

And carefully drill out the inside. I used a 7mm drill bit for this but had to move it a bit to get the whole insides out.
Once you’re happy with the drilling cut a small notch in the larger of the 2 tabs on the side of the button to move the wires through.
5-Take your two 5mm leds (Other sizes and types of leds can be used I just like 5mm because they are cheap and easy to get) bend the legs on both in the same direction then solder them together. and solder on two 3inch pieces of wire to them
6- Now check if your leds fit inside the button. (if they don't drill out /shave out a bit more of it..) and check that they are working with a battery. Then fill half the button with hot glue and press in the leds making sure they are point straight down into the buttons (Any slant on them will result in a badly lit dome.) Once you’re happy with the led placement fill the button with glue up to the height of the original plastic X. If you go too high the button will be stiff and too low means you have to push the button further.
The finished button should look like this:

7- Now check the polarity of your bread board and lit dome then solder the wires in place on the bread board

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
    If the led's aren’t lighting up
    • Check the polarity of the leds using a battery
    • Test the leds with another power source
    • Check for any short circuits

Trigger lights

Introduction this is the part of my tutorial on how to back light your triggers or light up triggers (if there transparent)

Parts Needed
  • 2x5mm leds
  • a resistor or 2 if required for your leds.
  • 30awg wire

Tools Needed
  • Solder Iron
  • hot glue gun
  • wire cutters

Difficulty rating: 1/5

Average Time to Complete: 5-15mins

Notes: be careful gluing the leds in place as they may foul up on the case..

Step By Step Tutorial
1- take you 2 leds bend the legs as shown below then solder 3-4inches of wire to them
2- now use you hot glue gun to glue the leds in place. take care not to get glue under the trigger parts

3- test and connect you wires. for the right trigger use the breadboard installed earlier in the dome mod.
and for the left use the same vvd and ground that we connected the breadboard to
Here's this mod done:

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
  • if the triggers are sticking, check no glue is in the way.
  • if the leds aren’t working check the polarity, test on a battery. and check for shorts.

ABXY lighting tutorial

Introduction in this section I will be showing you how to light your ABXY using 5mm white leds...

Parts Needed
  • 4x white 5mm leds
  • resistor if on a wired controller.
  • 30awg wire

Tools Needed
  • Solder Iron
  • hot glue gun
  • 7mm drill
  • a sharp knife I use a Stanley knife
  • wire cutters
  • pliers

Difficulty rating: 4/5

Average Time to Complete: 30-60mins

Notes: note be very careful when cutting or drilling the buttons.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- take you four 5mm white leds and solder on 2-3 inches of wire to the base of each led the trim off the excess leg material.
2- now carefully clamp your ABXY buttons in a pair of pliers and use your 7mm drill to remove most of the white plastic.. you want to leave a thin layer of it.. this way your buttons still look stock when the mod is turned off.

3- cut notches in to your buttons using a sharp knife. on A and X cut the notch above the largest sized tabs and for Y and B cut the notches above the middle sized tabs

4-glue the leds in the button.... ok first test fit the leds then half fill the button with glue. insert the led down most of the way.. make sure it is below the white plastic. make sure the wires run through the notch’s you cut. then fill the button up to the top of the white plastic with hot glue and use the other end of your drill bit to push it down flat with the white plastic..
5- ok now test the polarity of each button. and wire them to the bread board we installed in the dome guide.
your finished buttons should look like this:

now carefully close up your pad making sure none of the wires get in the way of the pad closing....

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
  • if the buttons are to stiff or to soft check the build up of glue in them as it may be too high or low... it should be build up to the same height as the standard plastic..
  • if the leds aren’t working check the polarity, test on a battery. and check for shorts.

Lit start and back buttons

Introduction in this part of the tutorial I will be showing you how to light the start and back buttons.

Parts Needed
  • 4x0603 smd leds
  • some 30awg wire
  • a resistor if required for your leds.

Tools Needed
  • Solder iron
  • wire cutters
  • 3mm drill
  • hot glue gun

Difficulty rating: 4.5/5

Average Time to Complete: 30-45mins

Notes: this can be very tricky to get right as you will be soldering smd leds to wires and drill a small hole down the center of your start and back buttons.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- take 2 of your leds and lay them upside down, side by side. I used a blob of blue tack to hold them still then solder a 3-4 inch piece of wire across each set of contacts. carefully twist the 2 wires together test. and apply a small amount of hot glue for strength

then repeat for the other 2 led's 2- now take you buttons first cut a dip into the center of each to guide your drill bit then very carefully drill out the center make sure you don’t go too far check it as you go buy holding it up to a light and see if you can see the light shinning through.

once the inside of your button looks like this cut a small groove for the wires to run through in each button then half fill with hot glue insert you leds and fill level to the top of the button.

3- now check the polarity of each led and run the wire to the bread board used through out this tutorial. make sure you get the button round the right way. then trim them off and solder them to the bread board

ok now carefully close up your controller making sure all the buttons are going in correct and none of the wires are in the way.. use a small screwdriver to push them in place if need be.

and your done enjoy your new lit controller

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
  • if the leds aren’t working check the polarity, test on a battery. And check for shorts.
  • if you have trouble closing the finished controller check the wires aren’t in the way. Use a small screw driver to move them into place

Tutorial courtesy of Spurgurgle
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=15159[/list]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:02:30 PM by Tri-edge »

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: complete xbox 360 controller lighting tutorial {finished}
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:v
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:47:27 PM by W-Gaming5 »
:censored:

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:06:33 AM »
Wow.

Thats a exetremely impressive tutorial - Well done :)

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
Awesome TUTs :tup:
Wow.

Thats a exetremely impressive tutorial - Well done :)

cheers guys....

and if anyone has any question about any part feel free to ask....  :tup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also guys i have now added

d-pad lighting
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,34025.0.html

bumper lights
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,34026.0.html

and lit sync button
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,34052.0.html

they wouldnt all fit in the first post so there's the link to there induvidual threads.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:08:51 AM by spurgurgle »

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Amerikun Soljia

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
Awesome bro. Just what i needed. Thanks.

y nomeni patri et fili, y spiritu sancti.

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Incredible!!! I only have one doubt. Why do you conect another led in 4 player? Whats the difference placing only one?

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
Incredible!!! I only have one doubt. Why do you conect another led in 4 player? Whats the difference placing only one?

the 2nd led on player 4 is for rapid fire indication. it works with every rapid fire code i've tried, such as hazers codes and lugnuts code..... it does say above the picture this is for rapid fire indication
and the wire attached to the 2nd player4 led does say "wire to rf chip." next to it.....

Now onto different color Rapid fire indication light. This is rather simple to do.
Just get another color led and connect it to the right hand side of the player 4 led, check the + / - and make sure it matches to the contact on you PCB *on matrix + side of led to + contact *on CG - side of led to - contact (Note: there both on the right hand side for player 4)

i hope you found this tut usefull.

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 04:38:24 AM »

the 2nd led on player 4 is for rapid fire indication. it works with every rapid fire code i've tried, such as hazers codes and lugnuts code..... it does say above the picture this is for rapid fire indication
and the wire attached to the 2nd player4 led does say "wire to rf chip." next to it.....

i hope you found this tut usefull.

Ok, then if i i have to leds, for exaple one red and one blue, the blue will be on when rapid fire will be on and red only when rapid fire will bo off. Is that?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »
the blue one, or which ever one you solder in the factory location, will function as the normal rol led functions, as a player indicator, and spin in the sinc function. the added led will be on when RF is on and off when RF is not on. they are mounted in this location to share the same view window through the controller.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 04:30:02 AM »
the blue one, or which ever one you solder in the factory location, will function as the normal rol led functions, as a player indicator, and spin in the sinc function. the added led will be on when RF is on and off when RF is not on. they are mounted in this location to share the same view window through the controller.
yep thats it matt

also its for if your playing as player 4..... usualy rf indication will just be on the original pl4 led.... but if your player 4 it'll be lit up constantly so you wont no what mode rf your in or evan if rf is turned on.... by adding a 2nd led thats a different color. it means evan if your player 4 you can still tell what your rf is doing....

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline stunnedjack

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:11 PM »
I am wanting to do this, would i be able to use these led's for the abxy. would i have to use colored or a resistor. thanks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060980

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 12:21:53 PM »
I am wanting to do this, would i be able to use these led's for the abxy. would i have to use colored or a resistor. thanks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060980

yeah there fine there pretty much what i yse in the ABXY section of this tut...

and they have 3.3FV so you wouldnt need a resistor for them unless its a wired pad .....

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline stunnedjack

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
ok cool. thanks

Offline strangwooduk

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »
damn i bet this drains ur battery though

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
not really ... i dont notice much difference in battery life..... the leds will dim well before the battery is out of juice. but if like me u run plug and play its fine cos when the leds dim u plug it in...

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
most leds tho but red do not cause of there foward voltage

Offline tylrstarch

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
great tut. one question though:
the smallest wire gauge i can find is 22.
if i can cram it all in would it still work or not?

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 04:01:38 AM »
it will work... wire is wire  ya know....

but i recommend getting some 30awg wire... do a search onlinefor it theres loads of suppliers....

i use Farnell

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Brainstorm32

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
How did you cut your breadboard chunk. That is some thick plastic or is that a pcb?

Thanks

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
its just a peice of breadboard..... it's a little bit of circuit board you can get it from any electronics supplier.....

i cut mine with a pair of large snips...... its quite wastefull doing it this way... other people score it with a knife and snap it or just use a small hacksaw to cut it......

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Awesome10Foil

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Upcoming Modder
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »
I'm really interested in doing this mod but I've never worked with breadboard before. Is there different kinds? Does it matter?

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 02:50:22 AM »
Amazing spurg :D

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline Brainstorm32

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
I would really be interested in seeing a piece of that breadboard before there is anything solder to it. I have a solderless breadboard and there is not way this is the same kind.
Thanks,
Jerry

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
any kind of breadboard/circuit board will do... its only a  small peice to join the wires with...... you could just solder them all together and heat shrink it.....

the breadboard i use is solderless.... i just tin it up beofre using it as it makes it easier to use.........

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline GLOC

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:28 AM »
so with a breadboard it will connect everything to light up or is the breadboard is there because the wires to short to connect? can i just connect ever thing to the ground and VDD ports or is that a bad idea will the wires short out or it wont work at all? oh and i have a matrix board will it make a difference

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 02:49:34 AM »

the breadboard is solely for joining the wires... you can run them all to +/- connections but that means 8 wires runnin around your pad.... taking up space making it harder to close or fit any more mods in.....

:drunk:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:18:09 PM by modded matt »

Spurgurgle d.t com

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

ok the breadboard is solely for joining the wires... you can run them all to +/- connections but that means 8 wires runnin around your pad.... taking up space making it harder to close or fit any more mods in.....

Well said spurgurgle love it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:18:35 PM by modded matt »

Offline XxiHAGGISxX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »
i was just wondering if a piece of stripboard http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1918 would do the job of the breadboard or if is dosent can u post a link to a board i could use :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :x:

Post Merge: July 30, 2010, 06:46:05 AM

the breadboard is solely for joining the wires... you can run them all to +/- connections but that means 8 wires runnin around your pad.... taking up space making it harder to close or fit any more mods in.....

maybe im being an idiot but the Ground point u put the breadboard to is negative and the VDD is positive
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:46:23 AM by XxiHAGGISxX »

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 02:31:17 AM »

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
You need something closer to this
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845

this is the bread board i use for all of my controller mods. its great for making an analog RF mod and for using in this lighting mod. a big plus is if you cut it correctly you can use if for several controllers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal