Author Topic: Starting the PS3 in Safe Mode  (Read 14850 times)

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Starting the PS3 in Safe Mode
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
This tutorial is to to show you how to start your PS3 in safe mode and to possibly save yourself 150$ instead of shipping it to Sony.

I was having issues with my PS3 freezing on any game I played after thirty or so minutes of gaming. Using "Restore File System" under safe mode fixed my problem and saved me 150$ so I decided I'd share the information with others in hope that it would be beneficial to them as well.

Step 1: With the PS3 on turn off the power by holding the power button on the front of the unit till the power light is red.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
   2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
   3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off.

Step 3:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PS3 to power on.
   2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
   3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button.  If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."
   4. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PS3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
   5. Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Sony recommends performing the safe mode options in the following order until one of the options works for you. If one of the options work, do not continue onto the other options.

1. Restore Default Settings
   2. Restore File System
   3. Rebuild Database
   4. Restore PS3 System

This information was taken from Sony
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1488&p_created=1235601937&p_sid=TyV1UUFj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=106&p%20_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTMsMTMmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bm8geG1iIG9yIGJhY2tncm91bmQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

-TwisT

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Re: Starting the PS3 in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
Good tut. Sticked :)

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »
Aww Jumbo beat me lol, anyways good tut, also you could add that sometimes the PS3 will have an error from a game (ive had it happen with LBP) and the PS3 will randomly reboot and go to the menu.

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:20 AM »
thanks I will try it and see if this helps me out

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day