Author Topic: PS3 Ylod Info center  (Read 13667 times)

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
PS3 Ylod Info center
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
How do I know it's YLOD?
If you turn your system on, and the power LED starts green, then flashes quickly yellow, then blinks red, you have YLOD. 
The yellow light of death almost certainly means there was overheating at some point.  Overheating could mean there was zero or little ventilation or maybe the fan died. 
There are numerous reasons but the above sequence of LED flashes means that something went wrong internally and it has to be serviced to work again.

Should I call SONY? 
Yes.  I recommend calling them to report the issue whether you are in warranty or not.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

How much is it for SONY to service it? 
There is a flat repair fee of $149 plus applicable tax.  Sony does pay for shipping both ways so all you pay for is the repair fee.
ALSO:  SONY does not charge your credit card until the system is fixed or a replacement is ready to ship.  If it is an in-warranty repair, there is no cost but you do need Proof of Purchase.   

SONY Rep said it will take up to 5 business days to receive my box to ship the PS3, is there a faster way?  Yes, fill out the Online Service Request at and this will shave off 2 business days in the process. 
You will need the Serial Number and Model number from the back of your PS3.

https://service1.us.playstation.com/rma.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_c9
65E2EED-0CE5-8742-FFAE-DF20FF77D3BE_k66FBCCD5-1C80-F976-9980-67B9
C5396997

What do I send in when I get the shipping box? 
Make sure you read the instructions that will be emailed to you after filling out the Online Service Request, also there should be instructions when the box comes. 
All you need to send back is the PS3 w/ hard drive (original one if you have it). 
Do not send power cord, video or audio cables, remotes, keyboards, controllers or any accessories.  If you do send in any additional, unrequested items, there is a good chance you will never see them again.

How long will it take to receive the PS3 back from SONY? 
It will take 7 to 10 business days from the time SONY receives the PS3 at their service center.  I do not think this includes the time to ship it back to you.

I had media in the console, what's going to happen to it? 
When filling out the Online Service Request, you can indicate what game, cd, dvd or bd is stuck in the disc. 
Be sure to include this in the request or else there is a good chance you will not see that media again.

I have upgraded my harddrive, what should I do?
Hopefully you kept the Seagate HDD that came with your PS3, I would recommend removing your newer hard drive and putting the factory Seagate hard drive in the system before shipping it to SONY.  If you leave your 80, 160, 250, 320 or 500GB in the PS3, there is a good chance you will get a 60GB Seagate when they return it to you.

If they can't fix it, will I get a different model than I sent in? 
No, even if they are not manufacturing the model anymore, if you send in a
60GB, that's what you will get back.  It will either be your fixed one or a replacement of the same model.

Should I try replacing the cord, or cleaning it or opening the PS3 to try to fix it myself? 
If you want to try replacing the power outlet or changing hard drives, those are easy things to try but will probably only work for about 1% of the YLOD cases in my opinion. 
After speaking with an another SONY Rep today, it was clarified to me that 'breaking the seal' in itself does not mean they will not fix it, it does of course void the warranty as stated. However, if the service center can see that you tampered with the inside of the PS3 in anyway they can and most likely will return your PS3 to you as is, broken.  So, you can opt to open it up if you want to peak inside, but again, I do not recommend breaking the seal on the PS3.

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: PS3 Ylod Info center
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:31:46 AM by W-Gaming5 »
:censored:

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »

Also it is Dust that causes the overheating so to prevent it vacuum out vents every 4-5 months. It can also be caused by the Power Supply going bad

It is free if your ps3 is still in its warranty (3 years) and you warrenty sticker hasn't been messed up
You are wrong there the PS3 warranty unfortunately is only for 1 year but it is free if its within a year from when you bought it.

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:31:59 AM by W-Gaming5 »

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
Yeah i only got free

also they dont repair yours they just send a replacement.

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
O sorry
I have a 3 year warranty from target (cost 20$)
but its only 1 year from sony (comes with it free)

HAHAHAHHA no offense but targets warranty SUCKS i really hope you dont have to use it... it does what it is supposed to but it is SO hard to get anything out of it... i used to work there and the STL's (store team lead, the store manager if you will) flat out told us NOT to get these warranty's. 

sorry bout the off topic but i figured that people would want to know about this.

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:32:33 AM by W-Gaming5 »

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
:cry2:
lol i have a friend who works in target electronics (in fact hes working morning shift >.<) and he even said don't buy a warranty from them....XD, also he told me bout PS3 Slim like 3 Months before it was even rumored. But I had to keep secrecy or else HE could lose his job.

Offline sakobatoneko

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
I have fixed a ps3 with YLOD problem, i will be making a small tut on how to fix it soon.

Offline Itchy

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
I have fixed a ps3 with YLOD problem, i will be making a small tut on how to fix it soon.

My guess is since your guide never appeared your temp fix for the ylod has failed multiple times  :yess:

To repair ( I cant say fix because you cant fix the ylod you can only repair it) the ylod you need to reflow the gpu with a proper reflow machine not a hair-dryer on steroids not by making it over heat not by putting in different screws onto the  plate to secure the cpu/gpu but  buy reflowing the gpu plain and simple takes 2.20 mins to do with the correct machine and settings other than that any repair attempt you try wont last long  :beg:

Offline Drummist

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • New modder
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »

Hiya,

I watched a few tutorials and fixed my own ps3. Been running Folding at home for 3 solid days without signs of return. (after 4 solid hours of COD 6 to give it a thorough test though!!)

At some point I will be doing my friends for him and will make a tutorial for here if there is any interest???   :dntknw:

Get your own Gamercard Sig.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal