Author Topic: What a PIC does  (Read 5223 times)

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
What a PIC does
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »
 I have looked through and posted in this part of the forum a few times and I see alot about PIC Microcontrollers, but never really have known what they are for? I have seen what people have done with them but I dont understand why they needed this to do those things

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
Re: What a PIC does
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »
Read this :)

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/microcontroller1.htm

Google is your friend.

I should add , they will give you examples of what a "basicstamp" can do. A pic cost 6$ a basic stamp cost 69$.

Both are micro controllers.
One (basicstamp) is kinda like Microsoft windows, drastically overpriced, but not meant to be cost effective, meant to be user friendly, and accepts Basic programming.
One (pic) is meant to be cost effective, but like Linux (which is free ill add) has quite a steep learning curve. (assembly, hex, registers, etc etc etc)

Once you understand why PIC are so amazing you might even check out PICbasic. It just happens to be what guys like me came up with to combat newbies going and coming to rely on a 100$ chip so they could use basic to program... When Microchip (and others) sell a 5 $ chip with more capabilities then the 69 $ basic stamp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:24:17 PM by XsavioR »

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
ah thanks and btw i did check google I almosst always search google before I ask, but It is sometimes hard to find what your really looking for by using google because it will come up with some random ass searches sometimes... I am checking out the site now though thanx for the link and info bout the basic stamp

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
Let me restate , I dont recommend the basic stamp. Just because of its price, size, etc.  Though it can be a useful learning tool. You can find the same type of thing for PIC. For instance
http://www.gooligum.com.au/tutorials.html (thanks Chives for the link)

Only drawback is you have to buy some parts to use it.

But i compare it to learning some baby talk language to teach the fundamentals of english, so later you could start over and speak something useful like english that other people use. (sometimes useful, usually not) But undoubtedly some one will do the math and argue the basic stamp cost the same as a programmer , chip, parts, and shipping. And they Might be right, , , TILL your second project and you realize the bs2 is 69 $. (penny wise , dollar dumb)

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »
hmm what exactly do I need for a pic. Also what is the recomended pic to get?

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:26:42 AM »
Really depends on what you want to do.

An ideal setup (imho) would be as follows (for some one who plans to stick with it)

PICkit2 with a demo board. 49.99
http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120
(includes a programmer, demo board (pre-assembled, with chip, with lessons)
Technically this is all you need to get started. I found the chip below a great starting chip there are free tutorial sites every where. Most, not all, use a pic16f84 which is outdated and more expensive then more function packed chips released later.

PIC16f88
This chip alone will not get you far, but once you understand the kit above, it is imho the best low cost expendable chip to make your first board/ proto board. It has an Analog to digital converter, no shortage of pins (for a nubbie) and more functions then you will know what to do with. You will need to get parts , for instance a .1 spacing 5 pin male header (to program it with your pickit) and any thing else your design requires.

A bread board. any radioshack has a suitable breadboard for about 20$.  you can in theory prototype on the board included with the pickit 2. How ever.... theres stuff on it that may confuse the code for you. Some times its better to start small once you have an understanding and learn how to build the minimalistic circuitry for a chip.

If you are a student and have an emailaddy yourname@SCHOOLNAME.com You qualify for some free samples over at Microchipdirect.com. Business owners also qualify. Again with the appropriate email address. Nice thing is they will eat the shipping too. But dont rush out and start ordering samples galore. Buy the PICkit2 , learn it , study chips make wise selections. There are limitations to quanity.

EDIT
The benefit of the PICkit 2 , is one order, one shipping cost, All inclusive industry standard proven to be working development programmer, AND proto board (plus a non populated spare). No hassle working with parts orderlists, Tutorials, AND all applications required , on a cd.  You will make the little wonder chip do SOMETHING however unimportant as quickly as is possible.  Mean while while waiting for shipment , you can read threw the tutorial sites, grasp HEX, BIN, DEC, i/o, configuration, etc .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:39:41 AM by XsavioR »

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
thanx for that information Ill probably go buy the pickit2 as soon as i get na little more money

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal