Author Topic: psp hardmodded ps2 mini wireless controller - electronic method  (Read 6856 times)

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
psp hardmodded ps2 mini wireless controller - electronic method
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
ok i know this has been asked before but i am thinking of taking a different approach

ok i have this wireless ps2 controller - it is a mini one

my thought was that if you press a button on the remote then it will send a signal to the receiver - i dont want to mess with the signals

what i mean is that if a button is pressed then it must send the signal to the receiver which in turn turns an electronic switch on on the receiver - so my idea was that

if i wired the right electronic switch to each button in my psp and added a power supply to the receiver - it would be like pressing a button on the psp so therefore being a wireless controller for it

this would involve hard modding it and probably removing the umd drive - who uses them ne way these days - i have more than on psp ne way

but this would be a much feasible approach to a wireless ps2 controller for the psp i will try and fit it into the smallest place that i can fit it and try to find a small circuit board to fit it in without taking the umd out

but my thoughts were that this has a much larger chance than any other method - just wanted to ask what you guys here think before i try

thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so does anyone have any ideas if this would work i looked inside the receiver and the controls are labeled with sw? where ? is a number from 1 to 20 - missing out 4, 9, 10, 11, 12 and has two spots which look like the analogue receivers

so if i just wired it up correctly this would work wouldn't it what do you think if you want a pic of the receiver i will make one if you would like to see the insides thanks

TDX: Use the edit button, its there for a reason ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:33:51 AM by TimmyDX »
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline lewson

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: psp hardmodded ps2 mini wireless controller - electronic method
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
Umm well the ps2 contorllers will need something to change the siginals to the psp.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »
i dont think you understand what i mean one minute i just took some more pictures you may understand if you see them
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
wont work

because,... the ps2 controller sends data! and the reciever recievs data and not something like a switch

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »

and i was thinking i could wire them up to the points

it is like i thought after i opened it up i saw that sw? relates to a specific button - so i tested it i wired the ps2 wireless receiver to a spare psp battery and each time moved an led to a different sw? which was wired up to a miniature battery and had one end on the + sw? and the other on the - sw? and if i press the corresponding button the led lit up so what do you say now i think it will work i just need to wire the receiver up to a power supply and to the right button on the psp and it will work

- i dont know how i would wire the analogues up tho
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:25:39 PM by FaT3oYCG »
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »
this could work but its going to be very complicated,you are going to have to use PIC microcontrollers,this is going to require alot alot of testing,so you can find out how to programme the PIC,it aint too hard to programme,just tell it the input signal (which you will have to use a pic development board to find in the 1st place),tell it the inpute,then tell it the output and it'll work,but trust me man this is one super super super complicated project
Derp.

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
This sounds like a pain, if you get it working it would be a lot of fun though.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • FileSock.Sourceforge.net
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »
hope it works, don't believe it will though :(

Good luck, and best of wishes ;)

you would need to demodulate the signal, it could be a pain

Tech Support Crew at The Gathering 08 (worlds second biggest LAN party)

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:37 AM »
Hey FaT3oYCG, i know what you are talking about, you will need reed switches wired to the corresponding psp buttons, to get the correct ones you need to test the voltage output on those sw points, if its 5v then you need 5v reeds and so on.

For those who still don't know what he is talking about ill chew it up:

See the "SW13, SW14" etc. Its stated that those points are lying on the receiver circuit board before the signal is converted to the ps2 con digital, you could call them the raw points and each one corresponds to a certain button. Wiring reed switches to each SW point will bypass all the chips and give you pure control output from each button on the wireless controller.

Let me simplify some more, A button is pressed on the remote and the signal gets to the receiver in its raw form that goes into the chip which converts it to ps2 controller format. You could say that SW13 = X, SW14 = O, SW15 = [ ], SW16=/\ etc.

So.... Button X is pressed on the wireless controller, that signal gets transmitted in its raw form to the receiver at which point we hijack it, before it gets converted to ps2 format.

However thats what i understand from the top post, it hasn't been proven to be true. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:16:47 AM by Neubit »

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • FileSock.Sourceforge.net
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:03 AM »
Hey FaT3oYCG, i know what you are talking about, you will need reed switches wired to the corresponding psp buttons, to get the correct ones you need to test the voltage output on those sw points, if its 5v then you need 5v reeds and so on.

For those who still don't know what he is talking about ill chew it up:

See the "SW13, SW14" etc. Its stated that those points are lying on the receiver circuit board before the signal is converted to the ps2 con digital, you could call them the raw points and each one corresponds to a certain button. Wiring reed switches to each SW point will bypass all the chips and give you pure control output from each button on the wireless controller.

Let me simplify some more, A button is pressed on the remote and the signal gets to the receiver in its raw form that goes into the chip which converts it to ps2 controller format. You could say that SW13 = X, SW14 = O, SW15 = [ ], SW16=/\ etc.

So.... Button X is pressed on the wireless controller, that signal gets transmitted in its raw form to the receiver at which point we hijack it, before it gets converted to ps2 format.

However thats what i understand from the top post, it hasn't been proven to be true. 

Try it out with a multimeter, i would do it but i don't have a wireless controller.

Tech Support Crew at The Gathering 08 (worlds second biggest LAN party)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 06:03:11 AM »
just a observation, i have that same controller and mine has a different board than the one yours has

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
neubit yes that is what i mean

tec_in_the_making - im from the uk encase you aren't may be one difference and mine is a mini wireless controller if that makes any difference aswell

ok so thanks neubit for explaining to everyone what i had trouble doing - i have tested a method of "hijacking" the electronic signal and it works but it will be hard to put into a psp

what i did was hook the receiver up to a battery and then it had power - a psp battery so i could see if it had enough power

i then wired an led up to a circuit with a battery but left it open so that it was incomplete

when i press the right button on the psp corresponding to the right sw? and placed either end of the led circuit to that sw - no negative or posotive then the led lit up - therefore hijacking the signal

i say that it would be hard to put in a psp because i was thinking i would need a battery on each sw fr it to work

but then i thought do the psp buttons have power as in square and circle and triangle and cross have a power supply coming directly from them ???

- so it does work but each sw needs power going to it for it to do any output

think of the sw's as an open circuit if a controller button is pressed it is like joining then sw witha piece of wire

- one question as i haven't messed around with the controls for the psp yet as in their output

what is a reed switch - i have only made led mods and simple mods which require miniature switches

sorry if its a stupid question but it may save me time thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:03:19 AM by FaT3oYCG »
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
oh yeah i forgot about that neubit  :clap:,but it would still be cool to use a pic :D
Derp.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »
no its the same controller the receiver board on mine looks different than yours.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »
well i dont know why mine might be a different rev from yours - as long as you have sw's then it should still work the way i have said im going to try anyway as i can easily just adapt another led mod that i was testing out just to see if it worked

does anyone know where i can find and helpful info on how to use the connectors specific to each button im guessing that each button has a +ive and a -ive connection

thanks
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
This should be in the slim section, unless the PSP Pictured isnt the one your going to be working on.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
why should it be in the slim section no im doing it to a fat the one pictured is a slim because i used my fat to take the picture with the go cam i just put the psp there for size comparison

so it should be here not in the slim section

anyway does anyone know where i can find some detailed info on the control pads
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 03:52:03 AM »
what you have to do first is measure the voltage at the SW point and get corresponding reed relay switches. This is because to activate the "push" of a button on the psp you need to close the circuit that relates to the specific button and you cannot do it if the SW points are wired directly to the PSP buttons. This is where the relay comes in play, you wire the relay switch to each SW point, then when a button is pushed on the wireless controller it will activate the relay switch, which will then close the circuit on the psp.

Offline r34p3rex

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
wont work

because,... the ps2 controller sends data! and the reciever recievs data and not something like a switch

actually, theoretically though, he could hook it up to a microcontroller that can be programmed to act like a switch to activate each one of the buttons on the psp (hard wired to the contact points)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal