Author Topic: PSP GPS Unit Disassembly by Neubit  (Read 15051 times)

TheG4mer

PSP GPS Unit Disassembly by Neubit
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »
PSP GPS UNIT DISASSEMBLY BY NEUBIT

Introduction
This isn't really a mod of any kind, but it may help others to be inspired to think up some mods, using the GPS unit fot the PSP

Parts Needed
  • PSP GPS unit

Tools Needed
  • Scalpel
  • Small screwdriver

Notes:
I wouldn't say its hard to take the thing apart, the most annoying part is the glue, if you don't know its there it really easy to break either the plastic or the receiver, i proceeded with caution and everything stayed intact

Step By Step Tutorial
1- Here is the GPS-290 unit in all its beauty.

2- Removed the two screws on the bottom of the unit. And pried the sides with a scalpel. The bottom cover comes off reasonably easy.

3- More prying on the sides of the center joint cover removes it with ease.

4- Now this is where it gets interesting, removing the top cover. What Sony did was use a decent amount of heavy duty double sided sticky tape to hold the circuit board in place. I only found that out after numerous attempts to remove the cover.

5- First you have to use a long thin razor blade to cut under the white cover to loosen the adhesive. Then you must do more prying, but with care because the connections are very fragile and i broke two of them bringing you this information.

6- Pry at in each corner and at the top center. Still some force has to be used to remove because its really glued in there.

7- Usb connector is plugged in to the receiver like any other board in the PSP, you know the drill.

8- The GPS in also glued on the bottom, this time you cannot stick anything underneath because chancer are, you will destroy some of the micro resistors they use. Using your hands keep trying to take out the board, don't be worry, use as much force as needed. A last the receiver will pop out.

Here are some snaps of the receiver for you to drool over

Bottom:
Top:
Side:
Back:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:17:43 AM by laxboy »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal