Author Topic: good mods & advice for a new modder  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Alex135

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
good mods & advice for a new modder
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
Hey there all, im new here but have always been crazy about psp mods. i got a psp slim during Christmas and i was just brainstorming but all my ideas have either been too complicated or too risky.
So i thought i would come to the pros for help. I probably wont do anything now, as i dont want to screw my slim when i got it as a gift, but i would like to have the ideas around for when i finally get bored of how it is now. :P
All tips, links, images, advice, personal experience, whatever is welcome.

-Alex135

Offline Roldy

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: good mods & advice for a new modder
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
start on a small project and work your way up like on a cheap handheld from CVS or somthing and practice till u get better and familar with what your doing

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
start on a small project and work your way up like on a cheap handheld from CVS or somthing and practice till u get better and familar with what your doing

CVS that is were i get my speakers for the umd door they r perfect exactly the size of the inner circle of the umd door

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
For a slim, some first mods could be usb charge, led swap, direct contact trigger leds, jewel, faceplate swap, etc.

Tips? Always have the right tools and parts before starting a mod. Otherwise, you may run into trouble. USE FLUX. Flux is your best friend. Also, have some basic soldering skills, and maybe practice on an old pcb board first. And maybe even start with something easy like going to the local dollar store, find some sort of cheap electronic with an led, and try an led swap. led swaps can be done in basically everything with an led so it'd be a good test mod.

Someone once said "don't start modding on your shiny ps3. Start with something small and move your way up."

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
For a slim, some first mods could be usb charge, led swap, direct contact trigger leds, jewel, faceplate swap, etc.

Tips? Always have the right tools and parts before starting a mod. Otherwise, you may run into trouble. USE FLUX. Flux is your best friend. Also, have some basic soldering skills, and maybe practice on an old pcb board first. And maybe even start with something easy like going to the local dollar store, find some sort of cheap electronic with an led, and try an led swap. led swaps can be done in basically everything with an led so it'd be a good test mod.

Someone once said "don't start modding on your shiny ps3. Start with something small and move your way up."

I can second that. I started out modding on my slim with no prior practice and managed to blow my speaker fuse. Luckily it was an easy fix but you may not be so lucky. So better to be completely confident before you go do the bigger stuff.

Offline Alex135

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
Hey all, Thanks for the tips, ill probably start with some of the cheap $1 battle ship type of games i have laying around that i haven't touched in a year and start on them, and work up.

Also, Roldy, j.s2ghetto, what exactly is CVS? *feels like a total n00b which is probably good once in a while*  :help:

Also i do have some experience in such things as i have messed around on dev boards and stuff like The Parallax Basic Stamp.
(i have 2 robots at home i mess with on occasion)

Any other ideas?

-Alex135

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal